Monday, September 11, 2017

Real Life (Well, a Commercial) Imitates Our Graphic Novel!

When I was writing the Oregon Trail graphic novel, I decided that Col. McCarty, the leader of the fictional wagon train in Road to Destiny, would be "played" by the likable actor Jeff Bridges. This suggestion, which artist David Lasky embraced, brought a certain character to McCarty that helped the reader accept--and, I hoped, like--the character.

(pardon the cell phone photos)

Well, Lyft, that kinder, gentler alternative to Uber, must have seen our graphic novel, or gotten the same general idea...


Their new ad campaign stars Jeff Bridges, and can be seen here. The ad makers have the darned wagons being driven by horses, which continues the Hollywood myth that horses were capable of being such sturdy beasts of burden. Oxen aren't sexy, for sure, but... oh, pardon me. Don't get me started on that horse vs. ox business!

Anyhow, we got a kick out of seeing Mr. Bridges on an Oregon-bound wagon train. And in my next post, I'm going to finally get off my keester and visit the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, whose great Heidi Hollister was such a huge and kind help to David and I when we created this graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment